It is the science of Cardiovascular drug which includes their origin, composition, Pharmacokinetics, therapeutic use, and toxicology. It also includes the study of the properties and reactions of Cardiovascular drugs especially with relation to their therapeutic value.
Cardiovascular system is the transportation system of body which supplies energy to all the organ and tissues by delivering nutrients through the blood. When any cardiovascular disease or disorder happens, it leads to the starvation of organ and tissues as inadequate supply of blood.
Drugs which is used to treat the cardiovascular diseases are:
1) Anti-anginals- Organic nitrates, Calcium Channel blocker
2) Anti-arrhythmics- Quinidines, Procainamides
3) Anti-hypertensives- ACE Inhibitors: Captopril
4) Anti-coagulants- Heparin
5) Anti-hyperlipidemic agents- Vitorin, Simcor
6) Hypo-glycemic agents- Biguanides: Metformin, Sulfonylureas: Glimierides
7) Anti-thyroid drugs and thyroid hormones.